With Meta introducing Avatars to their apps, Instagram is one of the places you can use this virtual representation of yourself. You can create your own Avatar to have fun while chatting with your contacts and or even use it as a profile picture.
Meta has described the Avatar feature as a key element in creating your online identity in the metaverse. We’ll be discussing the top tips for creating and using an Avatar on Instagram.
What Is an Instagram Avatar?
An Instagram Avatar depicts an animated version of what you look like in real life, making the app experience more amusing.
The concept of the Instagram Avatars is similar to Bitmojis on Snapchat but they have their own flair. The Instagram Avatar feature is created with an all-inclusive approach.
You can customize everything from skin tone and facial lines to outfits and hairstyles. As a matter of fact, it even includes outfits from various parts of the world and different cultures.
It is completely free to create an Instagram Avatar and users can make changes to it when desired. In the future, these Avatars might represent people on several apps or within virtual reality spaces.
How to Make Your Personalized Instagram Avatar
Avatars started in the US and the UK but are now available in most parts of the world. To access the feature, you must have the Instagram app installed on your iPhone or Android smartphone/tablet. You do not find this feature on the Instagram web browser version.
Making an Avatar
Follow these steps to create an Instagram Avatar:
- Log in to Instagram and open your profile.
- Tap the three horizontal lines on the top right of your screen to open a new menu.
- Select Settings from the list.
- Go to Account.
- Among the various options, you will see Avatar. Tap this tab.
- Select Get Started and begin customizing your Avatar.
- Choose a skin tone that seems closest to your actual one. But there is no hard and fast rule to look exactly the same. We suggest choosing your original features to get recognized. Tap Next when done.
- Pick your hairstyle, face shape, eye shape and color, eyebrows, eyewear, nose shape, face shape, facial accessories, body, outfits, and makeup. Tap Next when done.
- Select your body type and outfit. You will notice that clothing apparel from different regions around the world is present. You can choose one that you like without any alterations. The mirror icon on the right opens the front camera, so you can compare the Avatar with your real face.
- Select Done when ready. Tap Save Changes to confirm, and your Avatar will be ready for use.
You can sync your Avatar to be used across other Meta apps like Facebook. To do that, tap OK when the option shows up once you’ve made your Avatar.
Editing an Avatar
Are you unsatisfied with how your Avatar looks or want to upgrade it according to the recent changes in your physical appearance, like a beard? Editing an Avatar is pretty easy.
- Go to Settings.
- Navigate to Accounts and tap on Avatar.
- It will display the current customization.
- Scroll around to make the desired changes. Compare it using the front camera option if needed.
- Tap Done when it’s ready.
The best thing about editing your Avatar is that there’s no limit to the number of changes. You can make as many changes as you want.
How to Use Your Avatar on Instagram
Now that your Avatar is all set, it’s time to use it on Instagram. You can add it to your stories and chats to express your thoughts. You could even use it while dating in the Metaverse.
Here are some tips for using your Instagram Avatar…
Using the Avatar in Your Instagram Story
Instagram stories are a great way to keep your friends updated with what you are doing. Add an Avatar to your story and showcase your emotions more effectively. To add an Avatar to your Instagram story:
- Take a picture or choose one from your gallery.
- Tap the sticker icon on the top of your screen to open the available features. Some users might not have certain features available in this menu. This depends on your Instagram version and the location.
- Tap on Avatar.
- Select your favorite one from the list. Reposition and resize it on the screen as desired.
- Tap on Your Story to upload it.
If you want to keep the audience limited, share it with your Close Friends on Instagram instead.
Apart from pictures, you can add your Avatar on videos and Boomerangs using the same method. Using a filter does not change the color of your stickers.
Using Your Avatar in a Chat
People enjoy chatting with their loved ones on Instagram. The app has made interaction on DMs much more enjoyable over the years. You can now react to messages using your Avatar. Here’s how:
- Open the DM you wish to respond to.
- Select the Sticker icon from your chat box. You will come across different options and stickers for the response.
- Tap on Avatar to open options showing your custom character.
- Choose the Avatar you wish to send. It will be sent automatically in the chat box. Both the sender and receiver can react to the Avatar.
Get Entertained and Engage With the Instagram Avatars
Instagram enables users to create engaging Avatars that can be used across the Meta apps. Now you know how to create and edit an Avatar on Instagram. It is a simple process achieved from your Instagram mobile app.
Learning how to make something and then not being able to use it is pointless. So use your Avatar while chatting with your friends and create cool Instagram stories.
Currently, there are limited expressions and outfits available in Avatars, but we expect Instagram to diversify this useful feature in the future.
Social Media News