Despite being almost a decade-old title, Counter-Strike Global Offensive is still one of Windows’s best first shooter games. But like any other multiplayer game, it also experiences low FPS issues. The low frame rate makes it almost impossible to enjoy the game at all.
Wheather the latest update isn’t running smoothly on the PC, or you suddenly find Counter-Strike struggling to offer better frame rates, we’re here to help. Here are 8 tips to boost FPS in Counter-Strike Global Offensive.
What Causes Low FPS in Counter-Strike Global Offensive?
The low FPS issue is common on system that doesn’t feature the latest graphics driver update. However, this isn’t the only cause behind the problem. Below are the major reasons for the low FPS in Counter-Strike Global Offensive.
- If the system isn’t capable of the applied in-game settings, you’ll get a low FPS in Counter-Strike.
- Different background running applications that constantly consume the system resources can cause framerate issues.
- You will experience a low FPS in Counter-Strike Global Offensive if there’s any corruption in the game files.
Now that you know the possible reasons behind the problem, here are the solutions you can try.
1. Update the Graphics Driver
Running the game on an outdated graphics driver can ruin the gaming experience. An updated graphics driver ensures you get the reliable FPS in the game.
Depending on the graphics driver the system features, you can download the latest update by visiting the Nvidia driver page or AMD driver page. If the system runs on integrated graphics, consider using the Intel driver update tool.
Instead of downloading updates via the manual method, always use manufacturers’ software utilities to get the job done. Not only do they make updating the drivers a cakewalk, but they also suggest additional tweaks and features.
2. Close Any Unnecessary Background Applications
When playing multiplayer titles like Counter-Strike Global Offensive, it’s good to close all the unnecessary background applications. Doing this will free up resources that the system can allocate to the game.
You can do this easily with the help of the Task Manager. Below are the exact steps you need to follow.
- Open the Task Manager using one of the many ways to open Task Manager.
- In the Processes tab, right-click on all the applications you no longer need and choose End task from the context menu.
That’s it. Relaunch the game and check whether you are getting a comparatively better FPS or not.
3. Adjust Your PC’s Power Options
Windows lets you change the power settings depending on the energy consumption. By default, this setting is set to “balanced,” which ensures that you get an equally good battery and system performance. But sometimes, especially on laptops, the balanced mode can decrease gaming performance.
As a solution, consider switching to WIndows’ high-performance power mode. You can do that by following these steps:
- Open Settings using the Win + I hotkey.
- Navigate to System > Power & Battery.
- Click on the drop-down icon next to Power mode and choose Best performance from the context menu.
The above settings will consume more battery. So, if you are using a laptop, make sure it is connected to the power supply.
4. Change Counter-Strike: Global Offensive’s In-Game Settings
High in-game graphical settings are a prime reason behind Counter-Strike Global Offensive’s low FPS issues. The more you push your PC past its breaking point, the worse framerates you get.
To get a better FPS in the game, try lowering the graphics settings and other related options. Below are some changes you can make to get a better FPS in CSGO.
- Display Mode – Fullscreen
- Laptop Power Saving – Disabled
- Global Shadow Texture – Very Low
- Model / Texture Details – Low
- Effect Details – Low
- Shader Detail – Low
- Multicore Rendering – Enabled
- Multisampling Anti-Aliasing Mode – None
- Texture Filtering Mode – Bilinear
- FXAA Anti-Aliasing – Disabled
- Wait for Vertical Sync -Disabled
- Motion Blur – Disabled
After making all these changes, reboot the game and check if there is any improvement in the FPS or not.
5. Turn Off the Game Bar
Windows now comes with a built-in Game Bar feature via which you can record gameplays, take screenshots and do much more. Although it is one of the most interesting features, it can also negatively impact your gaming performance.
So, unless there is any use, consider disabling the Game Bar to avoid any potential interference. You can do it by following the below steps.
- Open the Settings menu.
- Head towards Gaming > Xbox Game Bar.
- Disable the toggle next to the Enable Xbox Game bar slider.
6. Enable Windows’ Gaming Mode
Windows 10 and 11 both come with a dedicated gaming mode that prioritizes the gaming experience. This feature helps in achieving better FPS and stable gameplay. It also ensures that the Windows updates don’t affect the gaming experience.
Here are the steps to enable gaming mode on Windows PC.
- Open Settings > Gaming > Game Mode.
- Enable the toggle next to Game Mode.
7. Repair the Game’s Files
If you are getting low FPS only in CSGO, there is probably something wrong with the game files. As it turns out, if the game files get corrupt, it can cause different issues, including the low FPS problem.
As CSGO is officially available on Steam, you can use the repair feature of the platform to solve the problem. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Open Steam.
- Go to Library and right-click on Counter-Strike Global Offensive.
- Choose Properties from the context menu.
- Select Local Files from the left pane.
- Click on Verify integrity of game files.
8. Overclock Your Components
If you are still facing the problem, it strongly indicates that you need to upgrade your system. But if you don’t have the money to go through the upgrade process, consider overclocking the system’s components.
Overclocking helps squeeze a bit more power from what you already have, and that too, without spending anything from the pocket. Although overclocking might sound like a dangerous task, if done properly, it can help achieve wonders from an old system. For more details on the same, check out our guide on overclocking a GPU.
Get Better FPS on Counter-Strike Global Offensive
These were all the effective tips to help you get a better FPS on Counter-Strike Global Offensive. As most FPS issue often results from low system memory, consider running the game with minimal background running applications.
However, if none of the tips were helpful, you are left with no option other than upgrading the system.
windows update news