Keeping your private data secure is easy when you lock your files and folders. In a shared computer environment, where multiple people have access to the same information, locking folders becomes imperative.
Several methods exist to lock folders in Windows 10, but using third-party software is the most effective. To help you narrow down your choices, we’ve compiled a list of three folder lock software that can help you guard your sensitive data.
1. Easy File Locker – Best for Advanced Folder Locking Control
Easy File Locker is a trustable software for locking files. It provides you with various options to protect your files and folders, including restricting others’ access to them, limiting their ability to write or delete them, or simply making the folders invisible.
The software’s interface is very clean and easy to navigate. Furthermore, it is a lightweight software that won’t overburden your computer.
Let’s take a look at how to use the software.
How to Use the Easy File Locker Software to Lock Your Folders
The first time you use the software, you need to set a password. To do that, click the System tab in the top-left corner, and click on Set Password. You will then be prompted to enter your password and confirm it.
To lock a particular folder, follow the below steps:
- Go to the Files & Folders tab and click Add File or Add Folder, depending on what you want to lock.
- Click on the three horizontal dots to browse your data and select the files or folders to lock.
- Select the type of protection you would like the software to impose by unchecking any or all of the four boxes, as shown below.
- Press OK to lock the folder.
Here’s what each of the four options does to the locked folder:
- Accessible: Unchecking this box would prevent anyone from accessing the locked folder.
- Writable: Users will not be able to change the file if this box is unchecked.
- Deletable: If the protection isn’t off, the locked file can’t be deleted even with administrative access.
- Visible: If you uncheck this box when locking a file or folder, it will disappear from your computer.
Remember that putting the file or folder in the software won’t automatically lock it; you’ll have to enable it separately. To do that, click on the green play button in the top-left corner or go to the System tab and hit Start Protection. You can also turn off the protection by clicking Stop Protection.
Additionally, you can change the type of lock for all added files and folders at any time by clicking on the file and checking or unchecking the four boxes.
Download: Easy File Locker (Free)
2. Wise Folder Hider – Best for Multi-Layer File Protection
Wise Folder Hider file protection software has a clean interface that makes it easy to hide sensitive files and folders. With only a few buttons to control everything, you won’t have trouble getting used to it. Moreover, unlike many other folder hiders, modifying the hidden files is also very easy.
How Does the Wise Folder Hider Work?
When you first install the software, you’ll need to set a master password to access the software’s premises.
You can hide any file, folder, or USB drive in the software by clicking on the relevant button at the bottom of the software interface, browsing through your PC’s files and folders, and selecting the one you want to protect.
There are a few more options within the software that you can access by clicking on the downward arrow button right next to each file or folder, as shown below.
Let’s take a look at what each option does for you briefly:
- Open: Open option is used when editing a hidden file or folder. Upon clicking it, the hidden folder will become visible in its original location, allowing you to make changes. When you’re finished editing, you can hide it again by clicking on the Close button – saving you the time and effort of hiding and unhiding it constantly.
- Unhide: As the name suggests, this option makes the hidden folder visible to everyone.
- Set Password: Using this option, you can add a second-level password to protect the hidden folders within the software. Therefore, even if your primary password is compromised, this second layer of security will keep your data safe.
To unhide all files and folders added to the software, right-click anywhere in the software and click unhide all.
Download: Wise Folder Hider (Free, in-app purchases available)
3. Lock and Hide Folder – Best for Quick Control Over Hiding and Unhiding Folders
Another folder hiding software, Lock and Hide Folder, is best suited to novices. Although the interface isn’t pleasing to the eye, it is intuitive enough to get the job done.
Once you hide a folder using this software, it blocks all kinds of access to the hidden folder. Even tweaking the Command Prompt, exploring Windows Explorer, creating shortcuts, or reinstalling the operating system won’t work for curious eyes to access the hidden folder.
Thus, unless you unhide the folders from the software, no one will ever be able to access them. You can learn more about the features of this software by visiting the lock folder website.
How Does the Lock and Hide Folder Software Work?
To hide any file or folder, click the Add button in the top-left corner, browse and select the file you wish to hide, check the box for the file in the software, and click Hide.
To unhide any file, keep the box checked and click Show. Next to all files, you can see which files are visible or hidden.
To prevent others from entering the software premises and messing with it, you must set a password. You can set one in the Options menu to keep your hidden files and folders safe from other users on a shared computer.
When setting up a password, you can check the three boxes in the Password Options settings where you wish to set the password restriction.
Download: Lock and Hide Folder (Free, in-app purchases available)
Do these three options suffice? If not, you can also use another easy-to-use folder lock app, My Lockbox. Moreover, to learn more about how you can keep your personal data secure, check out our article explaining file encryption in detail.
Protect Your Sensitive Data From Prying Eyes
Using the software discussed in the article allows you to efficiently protect your data while working on a shared computer. Try them all out and choose the one that works best for you.
Even if you don’t want to use any third-party software to hide your files and folders, you can also do it manually in Windows 10. However, it won’t give you the same level of security.
How to Hide Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10
About The Author